Anime Feminist launched on October 11, 2016 with three goals:
- Become a hub for the kinds of feminist critique we, as feminist anime and manga fans, wanted to see.
- Create a welcoming, inclusive space from which to support and signal-boost under-represented perspectives.
- Pay everyone fairly for their work.
Within a year, Anime Feminist met or exceeded every one of these goals, and is now a respected platform within the English-speaking anime and manga fan community.
What We Do
In 2017, we began a podcast, Chatty AF, and presented on feminist topics at anime conventions.
By the end of the year we had a regular publishing schedule covering feature articles, community discussions, links round-ups, and podcast episodes. A structured team of writers, editors, and administrators was in place, all being paid for their work. It was an ideal foundation on which to build up our operations in 2018.
At the end of 2018, we successfully funded our Indiegogo campaign to improve site accessibility by redesigning the website and transcribing our backlog of podcasts. We even hit our stretch goals to create recommendations pages and a searchable review database! We spent 2019 making those goals a reality, and at the beginning of 2020 unveiled our new website and wrapped up the major fundraiser goals.
Where will the 2020s take us? We have plans to expand the site’s content, increase pay for our writers, and publish manga and light novel reviews. Getting there will take plenty of hard work–but with the AniFam’s support, it feels like the sky just might be the limit.
Where to Start
- Check out our articles or join in our latest discussion.
- Listen to a podcast or two.
- Browse our recommendations pages for your new favorite anime or search our review database to see our thoughts on a particular season or series.
- Find out more about the AniFem team.
- Read our contributor guidelines and pitch a piece—we’re always looking for new writers!
- Follow us on Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr.
- Become a Patron for as little as $1 a month to help us continue our work!
Still have questions? Get in touch!